The postcodes of the other post towns within the Dorchester postcode area are as follows: Beaminster postcode. However, the land was unsuitable, the colony failed and was moved to what is now Salem. , Dorchester Arts, based in a former school building, runs a seasonal programme of music, dance and theatre events, participatory arts projects for socially excluded groups and the biannual Dorchester Festival.  The 1613 fire was the most devastating, resulting in the destruction of 300 houses and two churches (All Saints and Holy Trinity). The Brewery Square redevelopment project is taking place in phases, with other development projects planned. An historic market town, Dorchester is on the banks of the River Frome to the south of the Dorset Downs and north of the South Dorset Ridgeway that separates the area from Weymouth, 7 miles (11 km) to the south. , The town's hospital is Dorset County Hospital on Williams Avenue. Dorchester Tourist Information Centre is located on the ground floor of Dorchester Library & Learning Centre, close to the shopping centre, Brewery Square and town centre car parks.  There is also a private school, Sunninghill Prep School,, Kingston Maurward College is a land-based studies college on the outskirts of the town. The Member of Parliament for West Dorset was Oliver Letwin from 1997 to 2019.  Near the town centre is Maumbury Rings, an ancient British henge earthwork converted by the Romans for use as an amphitheatre, and to the north west is Poundbury Hill, another pre-Roman fortification. Symonds & Sampson are a long established firm of Chartered Surveyors being specialist Estate Agents and Letting Agents and Auctioneers with an in-depth knowledge of the regional property market. Modern building works within the walls have unearthed Roman finds; in 1936 a cache of 22,000 3rd-century Roman coins was discovered in South Street. It was built in 1885. DT4 postcode. A small segment of the original wall remains near the Top 'o Town roundabout. , In 1833, the Tolpuddle Martyrs founded the Friendly Society of Agricultural Labourers. After his execution, Puritans played football with his head. , Dorchester has thirteen first schools, three middle schools:St Osmund's Church of England Middle School, St Mary's Church of England Middle School, Puddletown and Dorchester Middle School and an upper school; The Thomas Hardye School which was founded in 1569 and endowed by Thomas Hardye, a merchant in 1579. In 2011 had 2,283 pupils on the roll. Future phases are planned to include 23 shops, an underground car park, hotel and affordable housing. The civil parish includes the small town of Poundbury and the suburb of Fordington.  17% of residents were under the age of 16 (compared to 18.9% for England as a whole), and 22.4% of residents were age 65 or older (compared to 16.4% for England as a whole). It has a hypocaust heating system and mosaic pavements. Dorchester Town Council and Dorset Council, both of which are based within the town.  Then, after returning from America in June 1934, he had lived at 38 High East Street, Dorchester, from October 1934 until July 1935, when he moved to Wales. , At the time of the Norman conquest, Dorchester was not a place of great significance; the Normans did build a castle but it has not survived. Post town: DORCHESTER: Postcode district: DT1: Dialling code: 01305: Police: Dorset: Fire: Dorset and Wiltshire: Ambulance: South Western: UK Parliament Dorchester is served by two local radio stations: Wessex FM, and BBC Radio Solent. The club is based on Weymouth Avenue in the south of the town after moving from its old ground also on Weymouth Avenue. , A leisure centre and swimming pool on Coburg Road replaced the Thomas Hardye School Leisure Centre in 2012, at a cost of more than £8 million.  The Brewery Square redevelopment project now includes retail outlets, residential units, bars, restaurants, hotel and cultural facilities. Hardy's childhood home is to the east of the town, and his town house, Max Gate, is owned by the National Trust and open to the public. As part of the regeneration at the Brewery Site in the town centre, Dorchester South railway station will become the first solar powered railway station in the UK.. , In 1643, the town was attacked by 2,000 troops under Robert Dormer, 1st Earl of Carnarvon. It appears to have taken part of its name from the local Durotriges tribe who inhabited the area. Transition Town Dorchester is a community response to the challenges and opportunities of peak oil and climate change.. The royal purple background represents Dorchester's status as part of the monarch's private estate, a position held since before the Domesday Book was published. Bridport postcode. Waymark, J, (1997) "The Duchy of Cornwall and the Expansion of Dorchester, c. 1900–1997", This page was last edited on 26 November 2020, at 16:43.  The Durnovaria Silver Band is based in Fordington Methodist Church Hall.  The remains of the Roman house north of county hall date from the early 4th century, with later 4th-century enlargements.  The Church of St Peter mostly dates from 1420–21, with a 12th-century south doorway reset into it. The original local name would have been Dorn-gweir giving the Old English Dornwary. Salisbury Field was retained for public use in 1892 and land was purchased in 1895 for the formal Borough Gardens, between West Walks and Cornwall Road. 30 High West Street, Dorchester, DT1 1UP. There are many notable monuments, including two 14th-century effigies and a 14th-century tomb chest. After the departure of the Romans, the town diminished in significance, but during the medieval period became an important commercial and political centre. 57% of jobs were in public administration, education and health, 18% were in professional and market services (including finance and ICT), 17% were in distribution, accommodation and food, 4% were in production and 2% in construction. The mayor has a similar seal of office, but this has the inscription Dorcestriensis Sig: Maioris.  The current Shire Hall building was designed by Thomas Hardwick and built in Portland stone ashlar in 1797. Dorchester is represented by two tiers of government. Dorchester has been suggested as the centre of a sub-kingdom of Dumnonia or other regional power base. According to a chronicler, the King's reeve assembled a few men and sped to meet them thinking that they were merchants from another country. The drift deposits comprise a cap of clay-with-flints on the western edge of the town around Poundbury, alluvium in the river's floodplain, and several narrow ribbons of poorly stratified head deposits, found particularly around the town's northeastern and southwestern boundaries but also elsewhere. The estates mostly house light industrial units, wholesalers and the service sector. The Romans built an aqueduct to supply the town with water. The south aisle and the north part of the porch date from the 12th century.  The Grade I structures are the Church of St George on Fordington High Street, the Church of St Peter on High West Street, Max Gate on Syward Road, the Roman town house on Northernhay, and Shire Hall on High West Street. Its defences proved inadequate and it quickly surrendered but was spared the plunder and punishment it might otherwise have received. John Bartholomew & Son Ltd (1980), 1:100,000 National Map Series, sheet 4 (Dorset). , Dorchester remained a compact town within the boundaries of the old town walls until the latter part of the 19th century because all land immediately adjacent to the west, south and east was owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. The postcodes of the other post towns within the Dorchester postcode area are as follows: Beaminster postcode. The town has been growing steadily with 11,620 residents in 1951, 13,740 in 1971 and 15,100 in 1991. The Dorchester postcode town comprises the following postcode district (s): DT1 postcode. , The County Museum contains many Roman artefacts. , Other Roman remains include part of the town walls and the foundations of a town house near the county hall.